Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Are You Tracking Your Results?

If I asked you to show me the progress you have made in the gym over the last 6 months, could you do it? And, no, "I feel better" or "I look better" is not the answer I'm looking for. I'm talking about real, quantitative results that show your progression over time. If you're working with a trainer on a regular basis, then the answer should be "YES". He/she would be able to pull your chart and go exercise-by-exercise with you showing your increases and gains. But what about those of you working out on your own? Do you keep track of your workouts - the number of sets, reps and weight that you are doing every time you hit the gym? If the answer to that question is no, then, at the end of the day, your answer to my initial question is going to be pretty vague, or simply "NO". Tracking your workouts will allow you to maintain consistency over time and constantly push yourself to reach new heights.

If you have taken the time to sit down and set specific goals for yourself like we discussed in an earlier post, then you owe it to yourself to track your progress so as to determine if you are in fact reaching those goals. So, here is my suggestion - go to Wal-Mart on your way home and pick up a notebook and start recording your workouts and other activities today. Keep track of your workouts, bike rides, jogs, etc. and, before you know it, you'll begin to see the progress you want.

1 comment:

  1. Great points John! The quickest to make progress is to know where you began!!

    ReplyDelete